To try and get more comfortable with animating the Business Dog style I decided to create some animation tests to see how easy this would be to teach to the other members of the team.
The animation below was made on Photoshop, originally we were going to animate with a hybrid of TVPaint and Photoshop but after animating this I realised that making a 5 minute animated film in it would just not be quick or easy and the film would probably never be finished.
And the animation below was made on TVPaint. I made the brushes myself and honestly I prefer them to the Photoshop brushes I used. Along with the animation looking more appealing it was also significantly quicker than animating in Photoshop. Because of this I’ve decided that all the animation will be made in TVPaint, it’ll be quicker, easier and it’ll look nicer. So it’s a win-win situation!
Welp, since it looks like I’ll probably be making this film next year I decided to start doing some animation tests. This film will be in an art style I’ve never really worked with before so I felt that the most important thing to focus on at the moment would be how to accomplish this with TVPaint and how to make this a quick streamlined process.
Below is the first animation test I made. Was just playing around with the style, the shading and the framerate (because I want a relatively low framerate for the final film, working with 3s, 4s, 5s & even 6s but rarely 2s). This was just a test to see how the pooch would move when trotting happily, I like how it came up but I feel more tests should be done first.
To get the style I first animated it normally, then I coloured underneath & deleted the lineart layer. They I redrew the lineart over the top but more minimalistic, and then I shaded with a hard light layer & soft light layer for the brights.
Below is another animation test I did to familiarise myself with this method of working. Things like panting & tail wagging I want to only have 2 frames of animation, any more and I feel like it would be too much.
And the last test I did of the night below shows how the character will behave with shadows & shading. So when in normal light the character will have normal shading & lighting but when interacting with a shadow the character will be completely dark, no light or further shading necessary.
I will be doing more tests throughout the week to familiarise myself with this new style of animating
It’s a simple animation but if I was to make the Teapots of Horror documentary this is the style I would have made it in, so it looks like a moving watercolour painting
Here’s my final 11 Second Club animation for last month. Had alot of fun making this!!
For this assignment we were to create a title sequence from a brief, our group chose to do ‘radio to screen’ which is making a title sequence based on a radio play.
Overall I think the final video is pretty great! There are so many little things that I’d like to have tweeked, such as timings & FX just so it all looks a little more professional, but this project combined with all the other projects we had this year (plus some discord within the group itself) left us pretty stuck for time, so it wasn’t possible to make this look as good as it could have been…
My role in the group was Director, and Animator. All the animations were made in Celaction, and I made all the puppets
Here’s my final animation for the experimental project. The deadline for this project was a little tight, so considering the amount of time I had to plan and make this, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!
This was made on a chalkboard and the lips we made by me kissing a piece of paper wearing way too much lipstick.
When I have more time I will definitely be using these techniques again, because when they look good, boy, do they look good.
Decided to see what it’d be like if I used a whiteboard for animating. The verdict…it’s ok, as long as you don’t do cycles. Also just hope that your pen doesn’t run out of ink…